Howletts Hut is one of the most historic club huts in the country which has been a welcome refuge for trampers and hunters for over 60 years. The snug location on the Daphne Ridge in Ruahine Forest Park first had a hut built there in 1893 by local botanist and school teacher William Howlett. This hut lasted until 1930 and in 1958 the Heretaunga Tramping Club built the current hut one to replace it. It has been lovingly maintained by them ever since and over the years it has had small upgrades but largely retains its original shape and character.
In Round 6 the club applied to the Backcountry Trust for funding to upgrade the bench to a new stainless steel one. In February 2018 John Montgomerie with a couple of others from the club flew in with the new bench and some more fuel for the heating in the hut. The old galv bench was stripped off and the new bench fitted and glued down to the existing frame.
On the same trip the hut was given a full clean with sadly the club also having to fly out a bit of rubbish that some users had been leaving there over the last couple of years.
Fresh paint was also taken in on this trip for a later planned paint job on the hut which will be done some time in 2020 but the club.