The Canterbury Mountaineering Club (CMC) built the current Barker Hut in 1980 and this has served the outdoor community well as a base for climbing peaks in the area, as well as welcome shelter on some of the trans-alpine tramping trips in the area. The hut is the second hut on the site with the original hut being built in 1945.
For many years, CMC stalwart Robin Muirson has organised many work parties to do the maintenance trips to CMC's extensive Canterbury hut network. In February 2019 Robin organised a group of three people to head in to replace the four windows in the hut with new double glazed ones. The exterior also got two coats of paint, batteries for the radio and LED lighting in the hut replaced and all candle holders have now been removed from the hut.
On the same trip, two other groups were dropped at other CMC huts at Park-Morpeth and Waimakariri Falls Hut. Other maintenance jobs were completed here including changing over the containment toilet tanks, painting and radio maintenance. Most groups walked out from the finished job with Mt Hutt Helicopters flying out the changed over toilet tank for Waimakariri Falls Hut and the rubbish and gear from the other two huts. A big thanks to CMC for all their efforts over the years to retain this great part of the backcountry network for all people tramping and climbing in these areas.