In late summer 2019 the Mount Cook Residents Association completed the routine maintenance on Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park's oldest hut – Sefton Biv. This small corrugated iron biv was built in 1917 by Peter Graham who was then chief guide at the Hermitage.
Perched on the crest of a spur that leads up to Mt Sefton and the Footstool, it is a kea's nest of a site with a panoramic view back to the Hermitage and the Mueller Glacier all the way around to the Hooker Valley and Aoraki.
The team was organised by Pip Walter who, along with her partner Simon Middlemass, are the current wardens at Unwin Hut. The team also included a couple of off duty DOC rangers and current FMC President Jan Finlayson.
After a couple of false starts with the weather, the team finally nailed a perfect weekend of weather to get the job done.
A cherished hut, amongst our highest mountains, being looked after by the locals, putting something back in to look after their backyard.